One of the key factors that play a vital role in the market success of a particular innovation is Intellectual Property, or commonly known as IP. It enhances the competitiveness of technology-oriented businesses, as well as facilitates the process of delivering innovative technology to the market. For the sustainability for MSMEs in the present global competitive business scenario, Intellectual property Rights(IPR) have become essential and critical. This article talks about the Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) Awareness Scheme for MSMEs.
The following are the objectives of the Scheme.
- To enhance the awareness of IPR in the MSME Sector to encourage creativity in terms of intellectual endeavour.
- To take suitable measures for the protection of ideas, technological innovations and knowledge-driven business strategies that are developed by MSMEs.
- To provide appropriate support and facilities for the protection and commercialisation of IP for the benefit of the MSME Sector.
- To offer assistance to Small and Medium Enterprises with effective use of IPR tools for technology development, market and business promotion, and enhancement of competition.
Financial Assistance Under Scheme:
Eligibility Criteria :
The following are the eligibility criteria for Patent, Geographical Indication and Trademark Reimbursement.
- For the reimbursement of the actual costs or the expenses that are incurred towards the registration of Trademarks or Patents from the Office of Development Commissioner of MSME, the applicant/ unit/ entity must hold a valid Udyog Aadhaar/ UAM and be registered in the applicant’s name, who is also eligible for reimbursements.
- For the reimbursement of the actual expenses incurred towards the registration of GI, the entity, be it an agency, association, institutions, institute, NGO, society, non-profit bodies, trusts, similar types of non-commercial bodies and other entities which may not hold an Udyog Aadhaar, is required to provide relevant entity’s incorporation documents and PAN.
Application Procedure :
The following is the application procedure for the financial assistance mentioned above.
- Applicants may choose to apply for reimbursements through the MSME online portal where they would be required to furnish all the relevant details and upload the necessary supporting documents.
- All applications submitted through the portal will be allocated to the concerned implementing agency for further review, approval and for the release of funds to reimburse the expenses incurred towards the grant of a patent, trademarks and geographical indications.
- In the case of a dispute, these cases may be forwarded to the Office of the Development Commissioner to seek relaxations based on the merit of the case, if required.
- Organisations/ Institutes/ Departments of the State Government such as the MSME IPFC, MSME Development Institutes and TCs would act as facilitators and assist applicants in the reimbursement procedure and online application processes.
Data Source : http://www.dcmsme.gov.in/schemes